Image alt (or alternative) text, will always be important because it tells computer algorithms what is in the image. While technology has advanced computers still can’t identify what is in an image. By following these few points, not only will it improve your organic search results, it will also give users a better experience and provide information to bring Luminate apps to life on your site.
Here are some tips from About.com & Gawds.org:
- If an image contains text, replicate the text in full
- For charts and graphs try to summarize the trend
- For custom bullets use CSS
- Alt text should repeat text in the image
- Keep the text short
- Use your SEO keywords
- Keep the text meaningful
- Use blank alt text only for icons and bullets
- Make your alt text readable
- Ask yourself – with no images, does the alt text makes sense on what the website is displaying?
- This is incase images don’t load for some users with slow connections